Use of our websites, Apps, products and services following the posting of a new Privacy Notice constitutes your acceptance of the revised Privacy Notice then in effect. As such, we encourage you to review this site from time to time for the latest information on our privacy practices. In some cases, we may provide additional disclosures or privacy notices specific to certain products, services, or programs. Those additional terms supplement, and are to be read in conjunction with, this Privacy Notice.
1. THE TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT, AND HOW WE COLLECT THEM
- Some of the information we collect can personally identify you, including, for example, your name and contact information, birthdate, government identification, payment information, insurance arrangements, and information related to your rentals or use of products or services we provide or enable. For example, when you make a reservation, we collect your personal information such as: your name and contact information; birthdate; driver license and other appropriate government identification; payment information, including credit or debit card information (we collect security codes when you make a payment, but we do not keep them); If you participate in an insurance program through us or are involved in an accident or property damage, we may collect additional information about your insurance provider and/or coverage.
- We may record or monitor any call you make to us for quality control, to enforce our rights, or for training or similar purposes. We may collect photos and videos in some instances, such as when you choose to share them with us in connection with our social media or when we receive a notice of a traffic violation that includes a picture or video. Our rental locations may also be equipped with cameras and/or video security surveillance systems.
- We also collect personal information about you from third parties, including information from third party travel booking channels; service providers; licensees; airlines, hotels, membership clubs, payment card companies, advertisers and other partners; from your employer; from your social media services consistent with your information sharing settings on such services; and from other third-party sources that are lawfully entitled to share your information with us.
- We may collect information about relevant health conditions when necessary to provide adaptive driving devices.
Connected Car Data
- Some of our rental vehicles are connected cars. A connected car is a vehicle equipped with features, telematics systems, on-board devices, or built-in services and technologies that are capable of collecting data about the vehicle and its use, including, for example, the vehicle’s condition, damage and accident events and records, performance, operation and diagnostic data, information on mileage, acceleration, braking, speed, fuel consumption, fuel level, tire pressure, odometer, location and direction, and other vehicle-related information (collectively, “Connected Car Data” or “Vehicle Data”). Typically, this information is associated with the vehicle only and maintained as non-personal information, as described in the Non-Personal Information section below. If we link this information to you, we will treat it as personal information.
- Use of features and built-in services and technologies in connected cars are subject to the terms and conditions posted by the vehicle manufacturer and/or the technology provider, which may include system and service limitations, warranty exclusions, limitations of liability, wireless service provider terms, and user responsibilities. Some or all of these features are turned on at all times, even when other services or other media in the vehicle are turned off. If you are unsure whether your rental vehicle is a connected car, please speak to a member of our team at the rental location. We cannot guarantee that a vehicle without connected car features will be available at your time of rental.
- Depending on the technology used in your rental vehicle, vehicle manufacturers and built-in services such as ‘Apple CarPlay’ or ‘OnStar’ may also collect Connected Car Data or other personal information from the vehicle pursuant to their privacy policies. For more information about this third party information collection, please refer to the Third Party Collection section below.
- We may collect information about your location from our websites, your mobile devices, and your visits to our locations. You may opt out of our collection of information about your location from mobile devices at any time by turning off transmission of geolocation data and push notifications on your mobile device.
- We may also at times connect certain location-related Connected Car Data to you.
- We may also collect or transform information so that it is maintained in a form that is not linked to a particular individual, such as vehicle information that is not connected to a passenger or other aggregated, de-identified or anonymized information (“non-personal information”). This Privacy Notice does not apply to non-personal information, which we collect, use and disclose for a variety of purposes. However, any non-personal information that is linked to or combined with personal information will be treated as personal information subject to this Privacy Notice.
2. HOW INFORMATION IS USED
We use your personal information to:
- provide you with our websites, Apps, products and services;
- provide you with additional services or functionalities (for example, to automatically receive the vehicle location, odometer, fuel level and other information in connection with your rental);
- administer your rental, manage your rental records and to calculate your fees (for example, to automatically record the start of your rental, any exchange or upgrades, and the fuel or mileage usage and charges);
- communicate information regarding your reservation or rental. These communications are transactional or service related and will be sent via email, text, push notification or phone calls;
- diagnose problems, analyze trends, and assess our performances;
- provide roadside assistance;
- provide you with discounts;
- improve our operations and services;
- better understand our customers’ preferences;
- better understand how our vehicles are being used;
- tailor our services, promotions and offers to our customers;
- research and develop new products and services;
- maintain our fleet;
- recover lost, stolen or towed rental vehicles;
- interact with you in person, through our services or on third-party platforms (such as social media sites);
- provide you with, and improve, relevant marketing or offers from us and our partners, and to inform our advertising and marketing campaigns;
- enable third-party vehicle applications and services;
- improve road safety and reduce traffic;
- respond to legally binding requests from law enforcement, regulatory authorities or other third parties;
- ensure the security of our or another’s premises, property or other assets;
- defend, protect or enforce our rights or applicable terms of service;
- prevent fraud or the recurrence of fraud;
- assist in the event of an emergency; and
- comply with applicable law.
You can set your browser or device to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features or services may not function properly without cookies. Some browsers support a “Do Not Track” feature, which is intended to be a signal to websites that you do not wish to be tracked across different websites you visit. Our websites do not currently change the way they operate based upon detection of a Do Not Track or similar signal. As the internet and other e-commerce channels continue to develop, we may deploy and utilize different types of technologies to collect data regarding your visit or usage.
We use information about your location (including, at times, by linking personal information with location information of the rental vehicle you are using) primarily to locate our nearest rental location, send you location-based notifications (i.e., nearby special offers), arrival and return notifications, vehicle location, and upgrade availabilities. We also use information about your location for the same purposes we use your personal information, including to provide you with, and improve, relevant marketing or offers from us and our partners.
We may retain your information for as long as you have an account with Airport Car Rental, as needed to provide you our services, or as otherwise necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which the information was originally collected and any other legitimate business purpose, including, for legal, archival, accounting, and/or audit purposes. If you close your account or request we provide you our services, we may retain your information because we have a legal, auditing or account obligations or it is in our archive system and cannot be separated from other information.
3. HOW INFORMATION IS SHARED
We may share your personal information with our third-party service providers and partners to help us with our marketing and promotional projects, such as managing our social media pages and other promotions, or to comply with your directions or any additional consent you have provided us.
We and our business and promotional partners send you information about products and services you may like. For example, we may help to arrange hotel rentals, flights or other services from our business partners, and share personal information with our business partners in order to provide those services and facilitate your reservations. We may also work with third parties, such as our airline and payment card partners, to allow us and our partners to deliver advertisements to our shared customers. Our partners may be able to provide more relevant offers to you based upon information that we share about your rentals, as well as information in your loyalty program profile. Additionally, we may allow third-party partners to recognize you when you visit that partner’s website or app, or to recognize you as one of their customers when you visit our websites or apps so that they may provide more relevant offers to you. You may revoke your consent to receive marketing and promotional e-mails and text messages from us and our business and promotional partners. Please note that revoking consent to receive marketing and promotional e-mails and text messages does not affect our non-promotional or non-marketing communications, including, for example, communications about the status and activities of your accounts, billing communications, responses to your requests, post-service feedback or survey requests, confirmations, and similar communications.
We may share website usage information, including searches, transaction and profile information (but not your name) with our partners for the purpose of making the online advertisements on our websites and other websites that display our advertisements more relevant.
We may share your personal information with law enforcement and regulatory authorities or other third parties as required or permitted by law, including for the purpose of:
- responding to a subpoena, court order or other legal processes;
- defending, protecting or enforcing our rights;
- assisting in the event of an emergency; and
- complying with applicable law.
We may also share personal information with third parties in the event of an actual or potential merger or acquisition, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, bankruptcy, reorganization, or liquidation. To the extent that local laws require it, we will provide you notice on our websites or via e-mail of our intent to transfer personal information to a third party for this purpose.
Personal Location Information.
We only share information about your location with:
- our third-party service providers to help provide our services or third-party services you have requested;
- third-parties for whom you have provided consent, including, for example, with partners who provide location-based marketing; or
- law enforcement and regulatory authorities or other third parties as required or permitted by law, including for the purpose of:
o responding to a subpoena, court order or other legal processes;
o defending, protecting or enforcing our rights;
o to locate an overdue or suspected stolen or lost vehicle
o assisting in the event of an emergency; and
- complying with applicable law.
4. HOW INFORMATION IS PROTECTED
- The security of personal information is important to us. We take reasonable steps designed to protect personal information from unauthorized use, access, disclosure, alteration, destruction or loss. You are responsible for keeping your account safe. Do not share your passcode, membership and pin numbers with anyone. Please be mindful that hackers and scammers may impersonate us or our website. For more information about phishing, please visit https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0003-phishing. If you suspect an unauthorized use or security breach of your information, you must notify us as soon as possible! We are not responsible or liable for any loss or damage if your account passcode, membership numbers and pin numbers are stolen or used inappropriately.
5. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- Our websites, Apps, products, and services are not for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you think we have received personal information from children under the age of 13, please contact us immediately.
6. THIRD PARTY COLLECTION
7. CONTACT US
- If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, you can always contact us in the following ways. We may need to verify your identity before assisting with your request.